Uphill Travel Policy
Hiking, Skinning & Snowshoeing within the Ski Area Boundary
- Uphill travel within “closed” terrain is not permitted; Avalanche control work—including explosives use—may occur at any time.
- Closures are posted only at the TOP of trails; those entering from below shall be considered to be trespassers. Uphill travelers may check in with Ski Patrol for current closures, recognizing that status may change at any time.
- Traveling above “No Hiking Above This Point” signs is prohibited. These signs indicate sufficient avalanche hazard exists to warrant closure to all, regardless of whether one hiked up from the bottom, or whether one has or hasn’t used a lift ticket.
- The absence of the “No Hiking Above This Point” signage at the top of operating lifts indicates that uphill travel is permitted in ‘open’ terrain.
- Anyone boarding or attempting to board a lift without a valid lift ticket or pass shall be considered a trespasser.
- Uphill traffic must keep to the side of ski trails and well out of the way of downhill skier traffic.
- Pierce County leash laws apply in the developed ski area; unrestrained dogs’ handlers will be considered trespassers.
- The designated runs for uphill travel are Quicksilver, Queens Run, Lucky Shot and Kelly’s Gap Road.
After Hours Uphill Travel Policy
- DANGER! No uphill travel when light is flashing. Several lights are located in the base area.
- Uphill travel allowed on Quicksilver, Queens Run, Lucky Shot and Kelly’s Gap Road only*
- Use extreme caution for unmarked hazards and heavy equipment including but not limited to snowmobiles, snowmaking, winch cats and cables.
- For more information you can contact Ski Patrol during operating hours: 360-663-3061
*Quicksilver trail is the only area within the ski area boundary that uphill travel is allowed at all times.
See Backcountry Safety for more information about your responsibilities when accessing terrain other than by lifts.
Crystal Mountain accepts no liability or responsibility for accidents that occur or as a result of uphill travel. RCW 4.24.210